Well actually I don’t look exactly like that. But close enough. When I’ll feel more comfortable with you guys, I’ll add a picture of myself, so you could be the judge.
So the picture above, is the actual art work I created. I’ll try in the following lines and images to describe how I work and how I ended up with this image.
Now you might be used to great, organized, structured tutorials on the web – sorry… that’s really not me. So if you can bare with me, let’s start -
These are the materials for the skeleton. Metal wire, aluminum foil and some reference for human anatomy (actually I didn’t use this book, but it does look impressive – doesn’t it?).
These are my tools. The left most one, called “sculpting finger” is the best.
Actually for most of the sculpture I used Super Sculpey. Still I had to share with you my beautiful box full of colors. You’ll get a glimpse of the boring Super Sculpey box later on. I’m using – Fimo, Kato, Sculpey and some others.
The base of the skeleton is metal wire. I’ll show in a bit more detail the technique in another tutorial, not that impressive – you can look it up all over the internet, just write armature in google. I covered the wire with aluminum foil to get some volume. It’s important that all materials could stand the heat. And then I created the parts that are going to be visible through the cloths.
I created a ball for the head and sliced it in two, in order to be able to place it on the table to work on the details. Later I’ll bind it back together. You can see the beginning of the sculpture, some cavities for the eyes, some added materials for the nose and lips.
Nothing to say.
You can see how the face develops after I add teeth and eyebrows.
You can see how I connected the back part of the head and started adding the hair.
Using crumbles of polymer clay to gently create eyelashes
Creating my glasses, a very significant item in my look, from copper foil. I cut the shape first in paper, then glue the paper to the copper foil and cut.
Bending the sides of the glasses, I fit them to the head. Testing the painting options for black – marker and acrylic colors. The matte feel of the acrylic paint won.
Connecting the head to the body. In the picture you can see I also connected the Allstar shoes – I’ll explain how I created them in a different post. At this point I baked the polymer clay. (I just added the new tutorial, please take a look)
Starting to create my black outfit – freestyle.
Creating two parts of the pants.
After testing the pants I realized there was not enough volume in the waist area. And it looked like I’m too skinny. I filled up a bit with a thick fabric. Since I didn’t have the option to do an over-lock stitch – I glued with superglue the edges of the cloth. I wasn’t a good idea. It made the pants a bit rigid, but at least it held everything together.
After dressing illustrated minime with pants and shirt, I sewed the pants manually in a very rough way, trying to get a better fit. No-one is supposed to see the back side.
I realized that the aluminum foil was showing a bit under the pants and so I colored it with black acrylic paint.
Makeup – A very fun part, sometimes I do it only in photoshop but actually it’s more fun to do it with actual acrylic colors.
To get the final image I combined these two pictures, I wanted the front view (on left) of the face and the side view of the body (right picture). You can see the result at the top of the post.